Here is a nice Irish Stew Recipe with Guinness for you to try out. Perfect for St Patrick`s Day .
50ml of Balsamic Vinegar
20ml of Madeira or Port
200ml of Beef Stock
1kg of Chuck/Shin cut into large chunks
100g of Smoked Streaky Bacon cut into lardons
2 Shallots Sliced
3tbsps of oil
2 Crushed garlic cloves
100g of Shitake Mushrooms lsiced
2 Carrots peeled and chopped
4 Baby potatoes washed and quartered
3 sprigs of thyme chopped
A bunch of chopped flat leaf parsley
Salt and Black pepper
- In a deep pan with some oil, seal off the beef with the garlic, shallot, bacon lardons and thyme.
- Now add in the Guinness, Madeira and balsamic vinegar. Reduce by half.
- After it reduces add in your beef stock and allow to simmer on a low heat for 2 hours with no lid on the pan.
- Ensure to stir it every now and again.
- During the last thirty minutes of cooking add in the potatoes and carrots.
- Just before serving in a separate pan with some oil sweat off the shitake mushrooms and add to the stew.
- Season the stew with some salt and black pepper and garnish with the flat leaf parsley.