Five things to look for when buying a steak
1. When choosing a
steak, striploin is a fine choice due to its tasty, melt-in-the-mouth
succulence. Good striploin has just the right amount of fat and nice
marbling. Rump (sirloin) steak is slightly cheaper than striploin but
it’s still a great steak for griddling or frying, with more flavour than
2. Age of the steak is important, as the hanging
process develops the flavour and tenderises the meat. So ask your
butcher how long the beef has been hung for. As a rule, 21 days as a
minimum and 35 days as a maximum is a good range to go for.
3. Good beef should be a deep red colour.
Check the beef has good marbling – little streaks of fat running
through the meat. This melts when heated, helping the steak to baste
itself from within as it cooks.
5. A good layer of creamy-white fat around the top of striploin and sirloin steaks is essential.
Five steps to cooking the perfect steak at home
Take steaks out of the fridge 30 minutes before cooking to allow to
come to room temperature. Heat your griddle or frying pan over a high
heat, until smoking hot.
2. Lightly brush the steak with a little olive oil and season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper just before cooking.
Don’t griddle more than two steaks at a time, and keep them spaced well
apart. If you add more than two steaks to the pan at once, the
temperature will drop and the steak will stew, rather than fry.
4. Seal each side of the steak with some fresh thyme and crushed garlic for 30 seconds on a very high heat. Place into the oven at 190oC to your liking. (see timings below)
Let the steak rest for about 5 minutes (in tinfoil) before serving, to
allow the juices that have been drawn to the surface to relax back into
How long to cook a steak for:
are based on cooking a striploin steak that’s about 3cm thick. (Cooking times will vary depending on the type and
thickness of the steak, and how hot your pan is.)
Blue: 1 minute each side
Rare: 1 and a half minutes in the oven
Medium rare: 2 and a half minutes in the oven
Medium: 4 minutes in the oven
Medium-well done: 5-7 minutes in the oven